Saturday 30 January 2010

'The filth and the fury'


"You don't write a song like 'God Save The Queen' because you hate the English race. You write a song like that because you love them, and you're fed up of seeing them mistreated.” -John Lydon



I recently watched the documentary (or 'rockumentary') 'the filth and the fury' directed by Julien Temple in 2000. The documentary was in aid of my dissertation, to get a real feel of how things were during mid to late 70's. The documentary followed the sex pistols career from the very beginning, showing and telling us about all the ins and outs of their career.

Although I had already done a lot of research into Britain and the social problems after the war and the rebelling punk scene I was genuinely shocked at how it actually was. Seeing archive footage taken from the day its self opened my eyes to what it was really like. It seemed a lot more in your face and the 'I don't give a shit' attitude was in fact everywhere!

I was particularly shocked (and I think the nation were!!) when watching the cringe interview with Bill Grundy. As you can see above it made the front news, they were rude, being sarcastic (as far as mocking Grundy), using foul language and not even listening to what Bill was saying!


I thoroughly enjoyed this film and found it very helpful for my dissertation as Jon Lydon was talking back on past events and his feelings, I got some really good quotes and references from this. Before I had watched it I felt I knew a bit about the scene, but until you actually see the footage and hear it from the people who were actually there, you know nothing!

I obviously watched this for my dissertation, but I would recommend it to people if they have a couple of hours free and that are interested in this area. Brilliant!





No comments:

Post a Comment