Sunday 21 February 2010

Max Ernst: une semaine de bonte


A while ago while looking for books I came across a book that I'd previously sat and studied in the Whitworth gallery. It was Max Ernst's 'Une Semaine de bonte', a lovely book full of Ernst's black and white works, in my opinion the most successful work he has done.

I like so many aspects of Ernst's work, the early collage feel to it, the surrealism he captures in the images, and also the gothic, strangely eerie feel they have to them. I also particularly like the fact they are so simple in colour, I feel that sometimes black and white images can be more striking and effective than colourful, in your face images.



This book is one of the most interesting books I have read and seen. Although I am interested in contemporary art and design I am fascinated with the older art and the type of work that has a lot of history behind it. The images are beautiful although slightly odd most of the time! I found that looking at an Ernst piece, isn't easy to take it all in and notice everything at once, every time you look back at an image you will see something you hadn't before. Are there hidden meanings behind these images?

No comments:

Post a Comment