Wednesday 21 October 2009

Corner House: Bloomberg New contemporaries 2009





On tuesday I took some time out from uni work to go to the exhibition that was on at the corner house. I couldn't quite make up my mind if I enjoyed it or not. Saying this there were a few pieces I thought were interesting.



"New Contemporaries, formerly Young Contemporaries has a long and illustrious history, dating back to the first exhibition of young graduates in 1949. For the past 60 years this annual show has been dedicated to profiling the work of young, new and emerging artists at the start of their professional careers. Through its annual presence, New Contemporaries has identified serious artists from each generation and given them the opportunity to show for the first time. The premise remains the same today."

There were lots of interesting pieces but also lots of pieces I thought were quite odd and didn't interest me in the slightest. Some of my favorite pieces were by Freya Wright, she created some lovely canvases for the wall, in all different sizes and placed them nicely together. There were also a few large scale etches that I liked, simply black and white, but with great detail, they were lovely.


Amongst all this lovely work there were sexual, strange and pointless pieces (almost not worth writing about!) But Im glad I went as I found a few pieces that were right up my street, and found visually appealing.

No comments:

Post a Comment