Wednesday 7 October 2009

Walker Art Gallery: Bridget Riley "Flashback"

"You can never see colour by it's self, it is always affected by other colours"

When I took time out to go to liverpool as well as going to the Stephen Shakeshaft exhibition I also attended the Bridget Riley exhibition in the Walker Gallery. Bridget Riley is one of Britain's most celebrated contemporary artists. During the early 1960's her black and white paintings made a huge impact, following that her studies in greys in the lst 60's.

An example of a trial drawing.

Amongst the work that was shown in Bridget Riley's exhibition I found myself drawn closer to the trials and studies she was doing for the actual large scale pieces. The work was made on a variety of papers, but the graph paper was very successful, and my favorite. When making these trials Bridget Riley explains that is allows her to trust the eye at the end of her pencil. These pieces made with pencil and paint, show us the exact measurements and lengths she goes to, to ensure the scale is just right.

Bridget's Studio 1983

'Ecclesia' 1985

Though the colour pieces were not my favorite, I did enjoy the exhibition but much rathered seeing the process and images Riley had created to get to the final stage of her piece. I found more of an interest in her thought process and her working out than her final design, sometimes i think the journey can be better than the destination, and in this case it definitely was.


No comments:

Post a Comment