Wednesday 21 October 2009

Kino4: Diving Bell and the Butterfly/Le scaphandre et le papillon (2007)

Lastnight was the third night of the Kino4 film club, and we watched Le scaphandre et le papillon by journalist Jean Dominique Bauby. I’d heard about the film before and heard a very simple outline of what to expect, but what I saw was way off what anyone could have described to me.
The film describes what his life was like after suffering a massive stroke that had left him with a medical condition called locked-in syndrome. This is described to be like being a prisoner in your own body, trapped within yourself, you’re mind is there but you cannot communicate or physically move with the world outside. The film also shows his life before the stroke, in small flashbacks and reflective scenes.It shows how he communicates through blinking and the amazing story behind him writing a book through this method and a transcriber.

This film is truly beautiful, and I am so glad that I got to watch it. I particularly liked the music in the film and thought that the choice of sound was very effective. In many scenes there was a piano melody played in the background and I thought this worked very well, and was sympathetic towards the elements of the film. It does make you realize that there are more important things in life, and after watching this film I realized that worrying about everyday things are nothing compared to what some people really do have to go through.

No comments:

Post a Comment